Ouidah is a city on the Atlantic coast of Benin.
Originally known as Glehue and part of the kingdom of Xweđa, the Portuguese reached the town they called Ajudá in 1580, after which it grew around the slave trade.
The Portuguese, English, French, and Danish all constructed forts in the city to protect their interests in slaving. The Portuguese Fort of São João Baptista de Ajudá, now housing a museum, dates from 1721 and remained with Portugal until 1961.
Other attractions in Ouidah include the Maison du Brésil art gallery, a voodoo python temple, an early twentieth century basilica, and the Sacred Forest of Kpasse, dotted with bronze statues.
The Route des Esclaves, by which slaves were taken to the beach, has numerous statues and monuments, including the Door of No Return, a monumental arch.
The Market Center of Ouidah, which was established by Scouts more than 20 years ago, trains young people in agricultural skills, thus helping to reverse the exodus towards the cities.
Journeys trips that include Ouidah:
Information based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouidah