Qaqortoq

Qaqortoq is a town in the Kujalleq municipality in southern Greenland. With a population of 3,306 as of 2010, it is the most populous town in southern Greenland, and the fourth-largest town in the country. The name is western Greenlandic and means "[the] white [one]".

The historical ruins of Hvalsey -- the most prominent Norse ruins in Greenland -- are located 19 km northeast of Qaqortoq. The town was founded by Norwegian trader Anders Olsen in 1775.

The town is home to the oldest fountain in Greenland. For a long time, it was the only fountain in the country, until another was built in Sisimiut. A tourist attraction, the fountain depicts whales spouting water out of their blowholes.

Qaqortoq is a port of call for the Arctic Umiaq Line coastal ship. Qaqortoq Heliport operates year-round, linking Qaqortoq with Narsarsuaq Airport, and indirectly with the rest of Greenland and Europe.

Information based on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qaqortoq