Bruny Island Adventure Tours
Bruny Island is an island off the southeastern coast of Tasmania, from which it is separated by the D’Entrecasteaux Channel. Its traditional aboriginal name was Alonnah Lunawanna, which survives as the name of two island settlements. Geologically, Bruny Island is actually comprised of two islands – North Bruny and South Bruny – that are joined by a long, narrow sandy isthmus. The holiday village of Dennes Point is located in North Bruny, while South Bruny is the site of the towns of Alonnah, Adventure Bay, and Lunawanna. Outside its few settlements the island is covered in grazing fields and large tracts of dry eucalyptus forest. Some of Bruny Island’s forests are preserved as the South Bruny National Park. While the seaward side of the island features two long beaches, known as Adventure Bay and Cloudy Bay, the coastal areas are extremely rugged with cliffs of dolerite that tower over 200 meters above sea level. These cliffs are amongst the highest sea cliffs in all of Australia. Bruny’s channel side is far more sheltered and is a favorite fishing and recreational boating area for locals as well as tourists. Bruny Island was originally inhabited by the aborigines until the arrival of Europeans. Abel Tasman made a landing in the vicinity of Bruny Island in 1642. His landing was followed by James Cook, who landed at Adventure Bay sometime later. The island, however, is named after the French explorer, Bruni d’Entrecasteaux, who explored the channel region in 1792. Since then, the island has become known as a great tourist location with beautiful surfing beaches, National Parks, and interesting historical sites. Recently, Bruny Island was transferred by the state government to local aboriginal inhabitants.