Journeys International Expands Offerings into Cuba
“Journeys trips are designed hand-in-hand with trip leader Joslin Fritz, who is fluent in Cuban language and culture and has personal connections to bring our travelers deeper into the community,” said Robin Weber Pollak, President of Journeys International. “Journeys travelers to Cuba will meet local artisans, young entrepreneurs, and social welfare program managers. They will unpack the complexities of US-Cuba relations. They will try to understand the many layers of Cuban society with input from diverse personalities. On Journeys trips we don’t just try to see a place; we form relationships there.”
While the new Cuba trip has a plan and structure, it also recognizes the need for flexibility. Weber Pollak added, “Travelers should expect the unexpected on a trip to Cuba. Spontaneity is the norm, and huge cultural festivals can happen with little notice. In the spirit of the local expression, “asi es Cuba,” (such is Cuba…).”
This unique itinerary includes many intimate encounters arranged especially for our small group, including:
- Visit a school and talk to the headmaster after enjoying a performance by the students.
- Chat with fruit vendors at a local farmers market.
- Meet with a flora and fauna expert.
- Discuss Cuba’s ration system with a bodega manager.
- Visit young entrepreneurs to learn what it’s like to run a business in Cuba.
- Meet with leaders of social welfare and arts associations.
In addition to trip leader Fritz, Journeys staff and directors are joining each departure as well:
- February 8-18, 2016: women’s-only trip with Journeys co-founder Joan Weber
- March 22-31, 2016: with Journeys Destination Specialist Lené Miller
About Journeys International
Based in Ann Arbor, MI, Journeys International has been creating guided, custom and family adventures for international travelers since 1978. Family-owned and operated, Journeys International’s private and small group trips emphasize cultural and environmental awareness, and family trips are designed with all ages in mind. Because of long-standing, unique and personal relationships with guides around the world, Journeys trips offer a superior experience that travelers won’t find with any other travel company.