Leave Nothing But Footprints
Minimize your impact on the environment.
- Remove packaging from items before leaving home.
- Bring and use biodegradable soaps and detergents.
- Bring a reusable water bottle and water filtration system to avoid single-use disposable water and beverage bottles.
- Conserve water.
Seize the Power of Your Experience
Act directly to accomplish conservation.
- Pick up litter left by others.
- Do not rely on remote local markets or village food supplies to outfit your trip. You can cause inflation and food shortages.
- Do not patronize accommodations, organizations, vendors, operators, villages, or individuals who violate environmental regulations or principles.
Value Other Cultures
Embrace diversity. Reverse missionary zeal.
- Learn proper local etiquette.
- Dress neatly and conservatively in your own cultural tradition.
- Employ local residents as guides, porters or drivers.
- Treat them as friends, not servants. Learn the names of your local hosts and a little of their native language.
- Listen and learn; do not preach or criticize cultural practices.