The Bird’s Word Blog
7 Reasons You Should Book That Trip to Peru
With a new year on the horizon, travel enthusiasts are plotting their calendars for the months ahead with an emphasis on rich cultural and outdoor experiences. Peru, a land of ancient ruins, breathtaking landscapes, and vibrant traditional culture, should be at the top of your travel list if you haven’t been yet. Peru is a country where the past and present weave together in a vibrant tapestry that visitors can experience through all their senses. Here are seven reasons why this South American destination should top your planning list.
- Travel Through History to the Inca Civilization and Beyond: The Incan Empire was just one of many sophisticated cultures that flourished in Peru’s past. The remnants of these societies, from the Nazca lines to the citadel of Machu Picchu, offer fascinating insights into pre-Columbian life. Recent archaeological discoveries have shed light on these complex societies, providing travelers with ever-deepening layers of history to explore.
- From Andes to Amazon, Peru is a Biodiversity Hotspot: Peru is one of the world’s most megadiverse countries. The verticality of its topography creates a broad array of microclimates, each with unique species and ecosystems. The Amazon basin covers nearly 60% of the country, home to an astounding variety of flora and fauna, while the Andean highlands boast remarkable endemism. Conservation efforts are crucial to preserving these natural habitats, including the establishment of numerous protected areas and reserves. Visiting (responsibly) supports these efforts.
- Tradition and Modernity Mix for Robust Cultural Richness: Peruvian culture blends indigenous, Spanish, and international influences, resulting in a rich cultural fabric. This diversity is celebrated in the country’s music, dance, textiles, and cuisine. Meanwhile, contemporary Peruvian society reflects a fusion of the old and the new, with bustling cities like Lima and even Cusco showcasing modern living alongside traditional practices.
- Culinary Delights to Please Adventurous Palates: Peruvian cuisine – a fusion of traditions and ingredients – has exploded onto the world stage. From high-end dining in Lima to street food in Cusco, the fusion of flavors tells a story of Peru’s diverse heritage and abundant natural resources. Embracing the range of food available will add texture and highlights to the fabric of any trip.
- Adventures for Every Kind of Traveler: Peru’s geography offers a range of activities for travelers. Hiking trails like the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu and the less-traveled Salkantay or Lares routes provide challenging and scenic experiences. Explore the Colca Canyon, surf the waves of Mancora, canoe Peru’s gentle stretch of the Amazon, or raft the Urubamba River through the Sacred Valley. For those interested in a less strenuous exploration, there are ample opportunities for cultural tours, museum visits, and culinary classes. The well-established tourism infrastructure caters to explorers of all comfort levels.
- Improving Infrastructure and Accessibility: Peru’s government is investing in infrastructure to make its treasures more accessible to visitors. New flights, improved transportation links, and enhanced visitor facilities are making travel smoother and more comfortable.
- A Responsible Destination: Peru is a leader in sustainable tourism, offering opportunities to travel with a positive impact. By visiting Peru, you can support a model of tourism that prioritizes the environment, heritage conservation, and community benefits. At Journeys International we take particular care in working with guides and partners that align with our Core Values and commitment to responsible and regenerative ecotourism practices.
So, Start Planning that Trip to Peru!
Peru presents an opportunity not just to travel, but to be part of a story centuries in the making. Whether it’s the allure of ancient civilizations, the call of wild nature, or the warmth of its people, Peru offers a journey that resonates long after you return home.
If you’re thinking about exploring this country, we’ve got you covered with many trip options at Journeys International, including:
- Peruvian Panorama: A comprehensive 17-day tour featuring the Amazon, Cusco, Sacred Valley, Lake Titicaca, and more.
- Mountain Lodge Trek to Machu Picchu: Enjoy the comfort of deluxe lodges after a day of hiking, with 11-day trips
- Active in the Andes: Combine hiking, biking, and rafting for a dynamic 11-day adventure.
- Incas and Amazon for Families with Teens: Engage the whole family with nature and culture over 12 exciting days.
- Hiking Sacred Inca Paths: Discover the less-traveled Lares region over 11 vigorous days.
- Sacred Valley Week: Immerse yourself in Peru’s Andean Quechua culture of today and the Inca civilization of the past in Cusco, Urubamba Valley, and Machu Picchu.
Send us a message or schedule a chat with an adventure specialist if you’re serious about making your travel dreams come true in Peru. We’d love to help make that happen for you with a customized itinerary that fits your travel goals and needs.
Sacred Valley Week
Focus on the heart of the ancient Inca Empire while based in comfortable ecolodges. Visit little-known sites and hike ancient off-the-beaten-path trails. An astounding week!
From $3195 Per Person
Amazon and Andes Odyssey
Visit the greatest sites of Peru in the Andes and Amazon, including Machu Picchu and the Tambopata Nature Reserve, where wildlife abounds and people do not.
From $3895 Per Person